Sunday, January 18, 2009

Da Zhong Guo in Chinatown Singapore

Da Zhong Guo pastry shop is famous for their nian gao during Chinese New Year and moon cake during moon cake festival. During these two festivals, queues can be expected at the shop. Da Zhong Guo has a very long history of selling pastry in chinatown.

I love the old fashioned cabinets and the shop was run by eldery boss and workers. Noticed those baskets on top of the cabinets. They are used during festivals or chinese festival. My mom had one of those traditional 3 tier baskets which was inherited by my brother.



These are the famous nian gao. I bought some too, and I will cook it after the chinese new year. These nian gao (chinese new year cakes) can be kept for a long time in the fridge.

4 comments:

Noodlegirl said...

oooooh they have those in Hawaii too! Yes the breakfast is really big I didn't finish it either I saved it for later.

Squirrel said...

Happy New Year, Alice!

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

I haven't ever ate any food from Singapore! How does it taste like in general? Spicy, Sweet, etc. The food we eat here in India is usually very spicy.

alicesg said...

Thank you for the wishes, squirrel.

B. Chhatbar, we have multi racial food from chinese, indian, western and very singaporean food which are spicy and non spicy. We are a food paradise. We have a lot of delicious food but our signature dish got to be the chicken rice and the chilli crab.